GET A PERFECT MANUFACTURER’S MATCH USING OUR INDUSTRY-LEADING SAAB TOUCH UP PAINT
Breath some new life into the damaged paintwork on your car using our exclusive range of Saab colors and Saab touch up paint.
Get an ideal color match for your Saab 95, 900, or 93 using our OEM touch up paint. Find out how to lookup your paint code by your VIN
Whether you need to find Saab touch up paint by your VIN or discover more information on the entire paint repair process, we have the products and knowledge to help get your vehicle shining again in no time. Even absolute beginners should be able to restore their car to its former glory from the comfort of their home without forking out vast sums of money at a body shop.
The information in this article breaks down the repair process, details how to find paint code by VIN, and also explains where to find the VIN paint code. We also have an extensive range of videos on our YouTube channel; these go through each stage step-by-step and are fantastic resources alongside this article; they are a favorite among our regular clients.
Fixing scratches and scrapes shouldn’t cost a fortune, and this is why we provide exceptional value to our customers. As well as stocking handy Saab touch up paint kits, all orders come with free delivery. Luckily, the products you will need for repairing your Saab 93, 9000, or 90 are the same; therefore, this guide can be used for all Saab models.
Check out the various sections of our guide for more specific answers to any questions you may have. You will find information on:
- How to find Saab touch up paint by VIN
- Repairing scratches on your Saab
- What paint products can be used to repair your Saab?
- The equipment necessary to repair your Saab
- The easiest Saab colors to maintain
- Do scratches cause long-term damage?
Delivering excellent customer service is essential to us. So, if there is anything we have missed and you need more information, give us a call at 971-770-2372, and our helpful staff can lend a hand.
How to find Saab touch up paint by your VIN
Getting the correct paint code is one of the essential steps in repairing scratches and scrapes. Without it, you could end up with the wrong color paint and mismatched patches of color on your Saab.
The paint code will be located on the VIN tag, which will be in different places, depending on whether you drive a Saab 95 or 900. To find the VIN paint code:
- Go to the driver’s side of the vehicle, open the door and check on the door jamb
- Go to the front of the car and open the hood.
- Check along the firewall and on the core supports on either side
- Lastly, check-in the glove box
Paint codes can be challenging to spot on the manufacturer’s tag because it has an array of other information on it. However, the code is usually located next to the “BODY COLOR” title on the label. Saab paint codes are composed of three numbers, with some of them having an additional letter at the end.
Example Code: 315
The numbers above represent the code for Diamond Silver Metallic, which is popular on 9000 and 93 models. Other examples include 8555 Black. The label will only ever contain the numbers and not the description.
At times the paint code may be missing, or the tag may not be in any of the locations above. If this is the case, you can:
- Give us call at 971-770-2372, and we can help you find the code
- Use our online selector tool. Simply input the year and model of your Saab and it returns all the possible colors.
- Email us at CustomerService@ERAPaints.com
Whether you need Silver touch up paint, help to locate your paint code, or more information on the painting process, our expert team members are here to help.
Repairing scratches on your Saab
Using Saab touch up paint to restore the paintwork on your car has a host of benefits over going to a body shop. It is far more cost-effective and also means less hassle in regards to rearranging your schedule.
Before using our touch up paint, we recommend reading the instructions that come with the specific paint you chose. Also, give the paint a test run before applying it to your vehicle, so you get an understanding of how it lays the color.
To achieve a flawless factory finish, you will want to complete the work in temperatures around 70°F. By doing the work out of direct sunlight, you will ensure that the paint dries evenly.
To repair scratches or scrapes on your Saab:
- Clean the area with soap and water to get a better understanding of the damage – 15 minutes
- Sand the region with 320 grit sandpaper then 600 grit sandpaper to remove any bumps – 10 minutes
- Reclean the area with wax and grease remover – 10 minutes
- Apply three coats of primer – wait 10 minutes between coats
- Dry for up to an hour
- Spray on three layers of Saab touch up paint – wait 10 minutes between coats
- Dry for up to an hour
- Cover the scratch with clear coat three times – wait 10 minutes between coats
- Let your Saab dry overnight
For those of you looking to get that extra shine on your paintwork, using rubbing compounds is a great idea. However, you need to wait several days before applying it.
The steps above are just a brief overview of the process. We have more detailed instructions on our YouTube page, which outlines everything step-by-step.
What paint products can be used to repair your Saab?
When completing the work at home, you have several products to choose from to get the job done. Every scratch and scrape is different, so the best option depends on the size and severity of the damage to your Saab. However, we typically recommend:
- Saab aerosol spray paint
- Paints Jars or bottles of Saab touch up paint
The swiss army knife of paint products is our 12oz spray canisters. They can be used for significant scratches that are deep but are also great for relatively small scratches. We stock a spray canister trigger, which attaches to the can and makes laying the paint even easier and results in a great finish. The 12oz cans which we stock are larger than the industry standard of 10oz and mean that you can get more done for the same money.
For blemishes that are as small as a coin or are in inconvenient places, we recommend choosing the paint jars. The small dabbers that accompany the paint make them great for laying the colors with extra care and allows you to take your time.
It doesn’t matter if you do the work yourself or go to a professional, the goal is to end up with an original factory finish on your Saab and to have your paintwork shining. Top-quality products are essential in ensuring that you get a great finish. Our paint products are the gold standard of the industry and the same stuff used by the professionals. It is for this reason that we don’t stock Saab touch up paint pens. They don’t operate at the standards we have come to expect from our products. Paint laid with pens will eventually flake and ends up in a patchy poor finish.
We stock all Saab colors, and you will receive free shipping on every order, regardless of the paint product you choose. If you need some advice on which product would be the best choice for the scratch on your Saab Origin, then give us a call, and we can help out.
The equipment necessary to repair your Saab
There are several keys to success for any DIY project. You need a clear idea of what needs to be done, but more importantly, you must have the right tools. Luckily, fixing your Saab car USA won’t leave you in the red. To get the job done, you will need:
- Access to soap and water with a bucket or container
- Wax and grease remover to be used in conjunction with the water
- Masking tape to partition off the scratch from the rest of the vehicle’s paint
- 320 grit and 600 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface of the damage
- Saab OEM touch up paint
- Primer to be laid before the paint
- Clear coat to be put on after the Saab touch up paint
- A towel
- Some nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean
- Optional – Rubbing compound
You can find everything above in our store. We sell Saab repair kits that include the essentials and means you can get started quickly. The packages offer better value than buying everything separately; however, if you have some items, feel free to purchase just what you need.
The easiest Saab colors to maintain
For some people taking some time out of a busy schedule and spending time washing their car is a hobby. Others find it a chore and resent spending their weekends cleaning the dirt off their Saab. In fact, the color you choose will directly impact how much time you have to spend on maintaining your vehicle. Some hues highlight dirt, while others do a great job of hiding it. The hardest colors to manage are:
- Black is regarded by many as the hardest color to maintain. It reflects dirt and dust quickly, so it requires constant cleaning.
- Red can highlight scratches
- Metallic colors are created differently from others, and the process is more complex. This means that getting well-matched paint for these can sometimes be an issue. The same applies for pearl colors.
The easiest Saab colors to maintain can often depend on where you live and how often you drive, but generally, they are:
- Shade of gray
- Other light colors
These colors allow you to bide your time and hold off on washing your car every weekend. Don’t let maintenance entirely sway your decision on color. It’s important to drive around in a color you like. But if you’re someone who wants a hassle-free vehicle, it should undoubtedly be a consideration.
Do scratches cause long-term damage?
Some small scratches may be hard to spot, especially if you have a color that hides blemishes well. It can even be tempting to dismiss any minor scrapes. However, long-term scratches have some unforeseen consequences:
- Worsen the damage – scratches and scrapes are rarely static. The effect of weather means that they are likely to get worse over time, mainly if you live in an area with a varied climate.
- Rust – if the scratch is deep enough, water can find its way onto the metal of your car. It may take some time to set in, but this will eventually lead to rust. Not only is this an eyesore, but it can affect the safety of the vehicle if left unchecked.
- Costs – Small scratches and scrapes when caught early are cheap to repair. If you leave it to get worse, you are going to have to get to a body shop, and this will make the repair costs skyrocket.
- Value – The first thing potential buyers do is to take a look at the condition of the vehicle. If they see scratches on the body, they are immediately going to try and bargain for a lower price. Overall, scrapes affect the resale value of your Saab.
Get the scratch fixed early on. Not only will you thank yourself when it comes around to selling your vehicle, but it will also mean less money coming out of your pocket.
It doesn’t matter whether you need to look up your paint code by VIN, order Saab touch up paint or find some unique Saab colors, even a complete novice can get started without any expert knowledge. You will be using the same paint as the professionals but saving yourself a heap of money, so why wait? Order your paint today and check out our how-to guides for even more information.
We pride ourselves on quality products, competitive prices and outstanding customer satisfaction.
If you are more interested in ERA Paints and our strive for vehicle care, follow us on our social media: